Swansea University

Council Tax Certificates

'Council Tax' is a 'household tax' which is set by local councils to help pay for the services that they provide.  People are not exempt from council tax, but properties may be.  This means that students are not exempt but a property occupied by only full-time students will be exempt.  In properties where students and non-students live, the property will not be exempt but a reduced charge may apply, depending upon how many adults live in the property and how many of these adults can be treated as full-time students. A full time student is defined as studying more than 21 hours a week and more than 24 weeks a year.  The course must last for at least one academic year or calendar year.

The City and County of Swansea Council are sent lists of all Swansea University registered full time students on a regular basis, if their term address falls within the area covered by the City and County of Swansea.  Please ensure you update your term time address if necessary.

This arrangement with local councils has been put in place to save students having to request council tax exemption documentation from the University as you can now confirm your student status by contacting your local authority directly.  The Councils will only use this information for council tax purposes.  Please advise your landlord that this system is now in place, should they ask you to obtain a council tax certificate as this will normally no longer be required.

However, you will still need to request a Council Tax Certificate from MyUniHub in the following cases:

  • You do not live in the Swansea area
  • Your parents may need evidence of your student status

Please note that students do not need Council Tax Certificates for university accommodation.

The City and County of Swansea Council has made a further concession, and may also disregard Overseas ‘continuation/writing-up’ (postgraduate) students who are prohibited from working in the UK.  The disregard may be granted by the Council on production to the Council Tax Office of a statement from MyUniHub confirming your student status, and sight of your passport containing the stamp which advises that you are prohibited from undertaking work whilst in the UK.

Home/European Union ‘continuation/writing-up’ students are not disregarded from Council Tax as the University makes no demand as to the time allocated to their study, and they are available for full-time work.

Should you require, a Council Tax Certificate one can be obtained from MyUniHub either in person, or by emailing myunihub@swansea.ac.uk, quoting your student number.  The certificate can then be collected from MyUniHub or alternatively posted to an address of your choice.  If collecting in person, you will be required to provide identification (e.g. student card).

< | Debtors >